Monday, October 22, 2007

new york city


"for every traveller who has any taste of his own,
the only useful guidebook will be
the one which he himself has written."
-aldous huxley

my friend alex showed me her new york moleskin before she left for nyu. i thought the concept was cool. it has subway maps, customizable tabs for whatever you wish, lots of space for notes... after my first new york trip i wanted an easy way to document the exhibits i had seen & save any fun ephemera i had collected. and, because i am powerless before expensive notebooks, i just had to have one for myself. i have no use for it on a day to day basis (seeing as i've only been to the city twice in my life for 7 hour increments) but the open format lends itself really nicely to a scrapbook & can add to it each time i go.

i went with my drawing class on saturday, & felt like i was able to experience more of the city... taking the subway, going to galleries in chelsea, getting a huge slice of pizza. & i'm glad i was able to see the kara walker exhibit at the whitney. it's so powerful and unsettling, i have a lot of respect for her as an artist.

No comments: