Saturday, January 5, 2008

on the campaign trail


disclaimer: usually i'm not one to shove political beliefs down peoples throats. but this election is important. if it bothers you, get over yourself and read the next post or something.

i didn't have cable at school, so being back at home has let me watch a little bit more news. recently, a news clip of barack obama caught my eye. all i saw behind him was the word believe in big white helvetica on black. (look familiar? it should. talk about drawing connections.) presidential campaigns means some seriously crucial typography. i'm not preaching, obama just has some good graphic design.

so is it completely unfounded to have your vote swayed by a savvy ad campaign? (check out this critique of the campaigns: it's called "reading tea leaves and campaign logos.") not so much. i've made a lot of choices based on subtle signs. and they've worked out so far. (except for when i rented "babel" from chart hits video because i liked the graphic design on the front. ooops.)

moral of all this psuedo-political banter:
you have good instincts. trust them.

back to watching the democratic debates. change is such a loaded word...



EDIT: juste pour rire from my friends at speak up

1 comment:

Crafty Lady said...

Becky!

I ran across your blog when searching 'A Neighborhood called Baltimore' on Google earlier today, and I am so happy I did. =)

I can just picture you saying obama just has some good graphic design. It made me smile.

Anyways, I hope that you are having a good break and I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!

Tierney