Saturday, June 14, 2008

drink plenty of water and always brush your teeth


my think arete email voice of reason told me the other day to start drinking more water. (this same weekly email scolded me about not flossing regularly a day after i got in trouble for the same thing at my visit to the dentist.)

turns out i've been slacking. i always thought i functioned best with caffeinated beverages and caffeinated beverages only. people would tell me to drink water, but they never really told me. according to this email, water actually gives you more energy and better skin. two things i can totally go for. the challenge is to 8 cups a day for a week and be "surprised with the boost in your energy levels."

starting now, i will drink massive amounts of water. i will have my tall java chip in one hand and my nalgene in the other. sounds good.

A number of years ago I asked a mentor of mine what one thing he would recommend. His advice: Do the little things to the best of your ability—from putting a sock straight in the hamper to washing your dishes immediately to flossing your teeth.

His point: there are no little things and when you get in the habit of living at your highest potential with the mundane things, it becomes second nature for the bigger stuff.

1 comment:

Stephen Ratkovich said...

That's really strange.
I've pledged to drink more water and brush my teeth more often.
I also promised to spend less time on the internet and more time working out but I'm not doing so well with those.