Tuesday, May 5, 2009

15 things bernard canniffe taught me


i should have posted this monday after my gd final. maybe i'm in denial of the whole thing. a few weeks ago someone let it slip that bern was leaving mica to become the graphic design chair at mcad. and the sky started falling. i won't even go into the specifics of what that means, except that we will really really miss him and those minnesotans better know how lucky they are to have him. because i'm jealous already. and so, in honor of two semesters of his crazy brilliant verbal diahrria, here is a list of a few (monumental) things i've learned. thanks, bern.

1. perception is everything.
2. the first thing that comes to mind is too easy.
3. graphic design is storytelling. if you don't have a story you're not doing shit.
4. research. for every project you have to be an expert in that thing.
5. if you cant simplify your idea to one word you don't have an idea, you have nonsense.
6. information is power.
7. the sexy ones sell themselves. the challenge is to try selling, say, hemorrhoid ointment.
8. 11x17 is not a poster.
9. you have to go through this stuff first before you get to the guinness.
10. be selfish. make them want to spend more time with yours than anyone elses.
11. visual cliches are not graphic design.
12. you have to be on your game in class. you're the one paying for it.
13. if an instructor tells you what to do, run away.
14. there is something about your life and your experience that only you can draw from. so use it.
15. every solution should be completely different.

note: special thanks to mel bar for somehow capturing the moment above in class and putting it on facebook.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Becky,

As a Minnesotan who was honored to have Bern as one of my GD profs at SCAD, during my MFA work there, I know how you feel -- and I can assure you the MCAD kids will come to appreciate what a damned fine guy he is.

The really funny thing is although that was 11 years ago, most of your list would apply to what I learned from him too. ;)

Michael.

thepickledlemon said...

Wow, I just actually googled Caniffe, cause I was wondering where he was these days. What an inspiring teacher he was! I had him for GD History and a portfolio class at SCAD. I never in my life was SO interested as much as I was in his class. It was almost like going to a show, being entertained, and learning, really learning, cause he was so amusing!

:: Matt Leighton :: said...

I learned that it was okay to love sheep. Really love them. Those Welsh guys love the livestock.

Bern is the best professor I've ever had, period. I learned all the good stuff from him.