Sunday, May 4, 2008

graphic designers are geeks (and we like it that way...)


i live under a rock. but last night i found myself at a show in a pretty cool gallery (with a map of baltimore painted on the walls that i couldn't take my eyes off of...) called the current gallery. the baltimore music scene is something i don't really know a lot about (rock, remember.) but it's thriving. thriving enough for rolling stone to name baltimore the "best scene of 2008." and there are so so many places i haven't even been and bands i don't even know about. on the plus side, i have three more years here to find things out...

how did i end up out from under said rock? i was told that a band comprised of two gd faculty would be playing. which sounded enticing. and, no, unfortunately, it wasn't ellen lupton. but it was just as good: two totally geeky graphic designers, bruce willen and nolen strals, from the design group post typography. post typography is already amazing. but when i realized that they also had a band... i was impressed. i was joking when i asked if they played music about graphic design. they do. really loud music about graphic design. with screaming lyrics about graphic design. (the band is called double dagger. come on...) they were so entertaining to watch.

all i can says is... i can't wait to have these guys for experimental typography! so ridiculous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

It's your Uncle Marty from LA checking out your blog and it's very cool. You have good design sense AND I see you're a MAC person like myself.

I have not done much design myself lately, I'm teaching 8th and 7th grade history in middle school this year. Check out my wife, Leslie's web site, it's simple but i designed it.
htp://comfortpax.com

I'll come visit you in Baltimore next time I'm in DC to see my Mom. (if you want) Looking at your blog reminds me what a blast college was. Enjoy yourself @mica in Baltimore. These ARE the best years of your life!!

Marty Cusack
martycusack@ca.rr.com

Anonymous said...

speaking of good music in baltimore.
check this out:

speaking of good music in baltimore.
check this out:

www.tickets.piersixpavilion.com
August 2nd

rock on girl......

papa